Monday, November 14, 2011

WEP key index other than 1 in Fedora 15

So I've installed Fedora 15 on my Probook 6560b and love it. However, when I first did the install the only Internet access I had was a WLAN and I tried connecting to the SSID using the GUI but it failed. Soon I remembered that the WLAN I was on had a WEP key index other than 1. So, I looked in the GUI for an option to change the key index. Bah. Nothing.

I tried using iwconfig but still was hitting a dead end. Well, the fix ended up being to edit the following config files as follows:

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-Auto_YourSSID
ESSID="YourSSID"
MODE=Managed
TYPE=Wireless
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
IPV6_DEFROUTE=yes
IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL=noNAME="Auto YourSSID"
UUID=YourUUID
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=YourMAC
DEFAULTKEY=TheNumberOfTheKeyIndex
PEERDNS=yes
PEERROUTES=yes
IPV6_PEERDNS=yes
IPV6_PEERROUTES=yes


$ sudo cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-Auto_YourSSID
KEY2=s:YourWEPKeyInPlainText

YourSSID = The name of the SSID you are trying to connect to
YourUUID = Your specific UUID
YourMAC = Your MAC address
TheNumberOfTheKeyIndex = Place a numerical digit here which represents the key index your access point is configured to use.
YourWEPKeyInPlainText = Type your WEP key here in plain text.

Okay, the funniest part is when I did all this I got connected successfully and ran sudo yum update which updated the GUI so that it had the key index option I was needing all that time! Oh well, I learned something...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammy/foul language comments or those with an explicit avatar will be tossed in a 55 gallon drum and a match thrown in after them. (Oooo, now I can warm my hands!!)